coffee or no coffee - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

coffee or no coffee

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee or no coffee

Hello Friends,
    I am using the Davita diet menus for pre dialysis kidney disease (stage three). In the breakfast menus, most call for 4 ounces of coffee at breakfast. Do you think coffee is hard on kidneys when following the pre dialysis diet? I know fluid must be carefully watched while on dialysis. I drink 4 ounces of cranberry juice each morning but also drink two or three coffees during the early morning hours. Is this important to cut back on my coffee drinking? Thanks, Nan

Well....

Coffee isn't bad, fluids are if you are not passing urine and have to limit your intake of fluids. I pee alot and drink coffee all day and most of the night.
    " GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"-Dirty Harry

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Comment

Same old argument...some say it's good, some say it's bad. I don't see any problems with it. I don't drink much of it anymore mainly because I live alone and I'm too damned lazy to fix a pot for one or two cups.
      Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
      Flip

Comment

I too am LAZY....

Originally posted by flipw View Post
        Same old argument...some say it's good, some say it's bad. I don't see any problems with it. I don't drink much of it anymore mainly because I live alone and I'm too damned lazy to fix a pot for one or two cups.
        I fell in love with the Folgers Coffe Singles. they are like a tea bag. I stick 'em in my coffee mug full of water, put in the microwave for 3 min. or so( depends on cup size.....of the coffee cup) and there you go. Use them all the time when we went camping, now that's the only way i do it here at home.

Another helpful hint from Pancho the homemaker. free of charge at no cost to you.

I AM Pancho and I approved this message.
        " GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY"-Dirty Harry

(fspencer@bak.rr.com)

Comment

Coffee in moderation is not bad for the kidneys. However, the reason (I think) that the DaVita diets restrict you to 4 oz. is that they assume you are on fluid restriction. In that case, you wouldn't want to take up half your day's fluid allowance with coffee!
          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Chef Nancy is correct.
            The reason for limiting coffee or tea in DaVita Diet helper breakfast menus is so the nutrition count is correct for people following a fluid restriction. If you are not on a fluid restriction, a whole cup of coffee is ok--115 mg potassium, 8 mg phosphorus.

If you drink lots of coffee, especially strong coffee the potassium could add up and create problems if a low potassium diet is prescribed.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. I seldom drink coffee and when I do it is only one cup, so I don't much worry about the nutritional values.
              To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Re: coffee or no coffee

I thought it was the cream you put in the coffee that was the problem - the sheet the dietician gave me said to avoid "coffee drinks with milk"... so I thought that was like cappacino, or latte's or those starbucks things in the little bottles... I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and it's decaf.

Comment

I never use cream anymore. I use Mocha mix or a non-dairy creamer like coffee mate.

Comment

Hi Earthsong, a regular cup 8 ozs of coffee has about 7.1 grams of Phosphorus and 116 grams of Potassium and an 8 ozs cup of decaf has 2.4 grams of Phosphorus and 128 grams of Potassium. So if you add milk that will raise the numbers. I have one cup of regular black coffee nothing added, no milk or sugar, and I do count the grams of phosphorus and potassium in my daily food log.

Comment

I got some non-dairy creamer but when I was looking on it's label - it says it has phosphates in it - which is phosphorous... doesn't that count? Is there a certain brand of creamer that isn't bad for me? This is all very confusing - but worth it!!!

Comment

Yes, everything counts, your body will count everything that is consumed. I can't take non-dairy creamers as they cause me discomfort, so I stopped using non-dairy creamers.

The website below is a great source of information regarding the make up of foods, like phosphorous, potassium, sodium and protein.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17032

They have listed non-dairy creamers as having these amounts:

Phosphorus (mg) 8
                        Potassium (mg) 29
                        Sodium (mg) 24

I could not tell which brand to use, maybe there is someone who uses non-dairy creamers that can suggest a few creamers to you.

Comment

Hi Earthsong, I did some searching on the forum and found a thread that you might be interested in. This does not suggest a particular non-dairy creamer, however there is additional conversation on this matter. I copied the thread sections to make this easier to find:

DaVita Discussion Forums > General dialysis > Lifestyle > Diet / Nutrition
                          No Phosphate Non-Dairy Creamer Brands?

Comment

There are ads that claim coffee is a great antioxidant - even better than green tea. I have no idea how true this is. Anyone here can validate this information or give better explanation than those ads in tv? thanks.

Comment

I have Polycystic kidney disorder and they have done some research and they found that cafeine plays a roll in the growing of the cysts. With a lot of cafeine it triggers the cysts to grow.
                              I just think that if tests found that it can trigger cysts to grow, what other damage it can do without us even knowing about.
                              I stay away from any cafeine just in case.
                              Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X