X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried beans

If the package of dried beans (black beans, great Northern beans) does not list any potassium or phosphorus. Does that mean they don't contain any potassium or phosphorus? The same goes for canned tomatoes. If it is not listed in the ingredients, can I assume there is trace or no potassium or phosphorus?

ALL beans and tomatoes are loaded with potassium and phosphorus, the dried versions even moreso. At least with dried beans, you can leach some of it out by soaking them several times before cooking. There's really nothing you can do to make the tomato safer.

Comment

New FDA nutrition label regulations coming in 2016 require potassium content to be included, but phosphorus was once again excluded. Try using the DaVita Food Analyzer or DaVita Diet Helper to find nutrient values for foods.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I am constantly checking labels and even when checking different canned tomato products but the same brand, one can will list potassium but the same brand (for instance Cento) does not list potassium. Very stressful with trying to vary my husband's diet.

Comment

I'm having trouble consistently finding potassium levels in foods on various websites. I was able to find something on the USDA nutrition data base. Searching for potassium, I was able to download an excel spreadsheet. The attached lists the food, the weight and measure, and mg of potassium per weight or measure. There are a few thousand food items, including some fast food. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

I hope this works, I'm not all that technologically sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooshka1 View Post
            I'm having trouble consistently finding potassium levels in foods on various websites. I was able to find something on the USDA nutrition data base. Searching for potassium, I was able to download an excel spreadsheet. The attached lists the food, the weight and measure, and mg of potassium per weight or measure. There are a few thousand food items, including some fast food. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

I hope this works, I'm not all that technologically sharp.
            Hi Pooshka1, I'm happy you reached out here! This looks like a great resource. You can also try using the Food Analyzer tool within our Diet Helper to see nutritional values for food items. Have a great afternoon!

Comment

Working...
            X