X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potassium levels in foods

I have slightly elevated potassium levels (5.4) and am new to the DaVita website. I have been using the Planner and some of the recipes. Can someone tell me out of the four flours I use in baking which is best with lowest potassium levels per 100g? All purpose flour, Almond flour, Coconut flour and Whole wheat flour. I cannot find the values for these other than the all purpose flour. Same thing with Almond Milk, Cashew milk, Soy milk and Coconut milk. I have tried 2 brands of non dairy desserts but prefer the Cashew, Soy or Almond milk types over the coconut milk version but cannot find the potassium levels for any of these either. I am currently only seeing my General Practitioner and no dietician.
    Thank you for your help.

Okay, here is what I do. I go to the Planner and Tracker and click on "add item." Then type in the general term for what you want, such as "milk". It will give a list of various types of milk. I found almond milk has 25 mg of potassium in each ounce; rice milk has 50 mg in each cup (notice different measurements); soy milk has 290 mg in one cup; and Silk Original Cashew Milk has no potassium at all. You can "x" out the list and put in "flour", or whatever you want. Or you can go to the Food Analyzer, also under the Diet Helper heading. As you use the features of the Diet Helper, I think you will find it very useful, as I do. I use it daily. Try putting your own recipes into the My Creations. It will calculate the nutrients for you.

Comment

Thank you for your insight, marysunshine!

snyder9786, please let us know if you have any additional questions. It sounds like you haven't met with a renal dietitian yet. If you do decide to meet with one, however, they should be able to help address specific questions based on your individual diet needs.

Hope you both have a great rest of your week!

Comment

I am having a challenge adapting to a low potassium diet. My potassium level recently was 5.8, and my nephrologist prescribed K-exalate and advised a strict, low potassium diet. I am accustomed to eating a healthy diet that includes whole grains, low fat dairy produts, lean protein; fish; vegetables, and fruits. I avoid sugar and salt and junk foods. However, on a low potassium diet, I cannot eat my favorite foods (nuts, beans, whole grains, salmon, avocados, brown rise; whole grain breads). I met with a nutritionist who has expertise with kidney patients who advised that I limit my potassium to less than 2000 mg per day, and if I practice portion control, I can eat most of the foods that I enjoy but avoid the higher potassium foods. Prior to the diagnosis of hyperkalemia, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and this year I lost 20 lbs. and my fasting blood sugar and A1C are no longer in the pre-diabetes range! I want to keep it that way and not start eating foods that could increase my risk for pre-diabetes again. My challenge is finding an enjoyable meal plan that balances both of these needs. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
        X