X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a1c

Hi, Diabetes doesn't run in my family. My blood sugars have always been normal, yet a year ago it was 101 and my doctor said I might have per-diabetes. He ordered an a1c and I had that done 10 days ago (my first a1c ever). The result was 6 and I read somewhere that's a good result for a non-diabetic? Wonder why my doctor ordered a1c instead of a regular fasting blood glucose level? Thank you for any insight..

A1C is how your blood sugar was over time. (6 week period). A standard blood glucose is just recent numbers. A1C is a more accurate picture of how well your blood sugar is controlled.
    Here is a link to information about A1C explained by the Mayo Clinic. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lavsweetie View Post
      Hi, Diabetes doesn't run in my family. My blood sugars have always been normal, yet a year ago it was 101 and my doctor said I might have per-diabetes. He ordered an a1c and I had that done 10 days ago (my first a1c ever). The result was 6 and I read somewhere that's a good result for a non-diabetic? Wonder why my doctor ordered a1c instead of a regular fasting blood glucose level? Thank you for any insight..
      Long time type 2 here, 6 is a good result for a diabetic (mine stays at about that level) but non diabetics should stay at under 5.5, I don't know what your doctor told you, but watch your sugars and get exercise and you should be fine.

Comment

Hi Rhonda, Thank you for the Mayo Clinic link. I looked at it and seems my A1C is a tad high. I love Hershey kisses and I think I ate an entire bag over a 3 day period prior to the test and maybe that's why it was high? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws as I just don't want to believe there might be a sugar problem. Are you diabetic, if you don't mind my asking..

Comment

Thank you for your reply jadeat60. I read recently read non diabetics should test 5.7 or below, but mine was 6.1 ~
          I'll cut back on sugar for sure..loved ice cream and chocolates, in fact any sweet snacks or desserts..boo hoo

Comment

Thank you for your reply jadeat60. I read recently read non diabetics should test 5.7 or below, but mine was 6.1 ~
            I'll cut back on sugar for sure..loved ice cream and chocolates, in fact any sweet snacks or desserts..boo hoo
            at 6.1 I imagine that you can easily get it back down into normal levels--you should give up the chocolate, it is hard I know. I depend more than ever on sugary treats since the renal diet is so limited, I find myself hungry all the time. I love ice cream too, I have switched over to popsicles, there are sugar free varieties out there, and rice dream ice cream as it is lower in potassium.

Comment

Thank you again jade! Last time at grocery store, I bought sherbet instead of ice cream. I love Hershey candy kisses, but resisted buy a package, lol. I don't know why I have to give up oranges and bananas or be careful about potassium? My potassium has always been normal..

Comment

Hi Rhonda, Thank you for the Mayo Clinic link. I looked at it and seems my A1C is a tad high. I love Hershey kisses and I think I ate an entire bag over a 3 day period prior to the test and maybe that's why it was high? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws as I just don't want to believe there might be a sugar problem. Are you diabetic, if you don't mind my asking..
                Well eating that amount of hershey kisses certainly didn't help but since it was an A1C then it was an average of six weeks it probably wasn't the hersheys. But you can buy A1C tests at the drug store. I bought my husband one at Walgreens. It had two tests in it. You could retest yourself or have your doctor redo the test to be sure. But chocolate is high in potassium. 134mg for just one ounce so be careful not to eat to much for the kidney disease. And no I am not diabetic but my husband, and stepson both are diabetics.

Comment

One thing about sugar is it not just in the foods we eat. Our bodies make sugar. So many diabetics don't eat sweets but their own trader bodes make too much sugars. Add more exercise and see how that helps. Just 30 minutes can change a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X