Getting past the fatigue - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting past the fatigue

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting past the fatigue

I haven't posted here in a while. Just a quick catch up. I am Type 2 Diabetic, hypertensive, stage 4 CKD with all the glorious effects of it such as anemic and Vit D deficient. I was hospitalized back in October when I discovered I was CKD 4. Since then I've changed my diet drastically even tho I slip from time to time mainly because I'm hungry or just craving something. I eat 3 meals a day, no sacks and limited to 2-3oz of protien each balanced meal. I have managed to lose 40lbs from just the change and would actually like to exercise.

Some days are better than others but mostly I can't get past the fatigue and dizzyness. It will be from small task like washing dishes and i'll have to sit down. When i go to stand I get insanely dizzy and just have to take a minute. The weight loss has inspired me to want to be more active but how do i fight past the fatigue. I hate being tired and it hinders my day to day. Does anyone else experience this? Any tips?

Just a note: My most recent labs show i'm still stable with my GFR at Stage 4. Iron levels have improved but still quite low as well as the vitamin D.

The dizziness is a result of your anemia, and I think that your iron levels have a lot to do with that. Of course, if you are reducing your red meat intake, keeping iron levels up will be a chore. I managed to get through that period of my life by eating a lot of carbs, always keeping carb-rich snacks nearby. Since you are diabetic, you probably can't do this. At this point in your life, you should know that starting dialysis sooner rather than later may be in your best interest.

Comment

I feel for you because have been there and done that also. Am 71 yrs old, been on dialysis for about 18 months. Most of which was in Nicaragua until my health became so bad had to finally come home for proper treatment. Just hang in there with the treatment and talk with your dialysis provider about iron shots being provided while in treatment. Also would recommend a home physical thearapist be used for approx six weeks. Keep your meat intake to about 6 to 9 oz daily will help. Most important thing is your attitude being an't cure it, but dam well can manage it, and get to point can live a pretty normal life. Good luck, and hang in there.

Comment

I also am stage 4 CKD diabetic & Vitamin D deficient. I had the same things going on until just a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't climb one flight of stairs without stopping to catch my breath. my days off work were spent sleeping or laying on the couch until my next shift. It took EVERY ounce of energy I had to go to work daily. I was ready to beg my doctor to put me on dialysis just to feel better. He prescribed KIONEX which I believe removes potassium from your blood. I'm not sure about this so ask your doctor about it. It took about a week and a half to two weeks and it was like night and day. I have started to feel normal for the first time in about two years. I now take my dog for a couple of walks each day, my house is in the process of getting a good cleaning, life has improved drastically. If your doctor thinks this is a good thing for you I hope you have the same results. Good luck finding relief from your fatigue.

Comment

I have the same problem, I haven't found anything yet.

Comment

Hi sherry72, here is a post from our Kidney Diet Tips blog that discusses how to re-energize: http://blogs.davita.com/kidney-diet-tips/3186-2/. I hope that helps, have a nice Friday!

Comment

I am ERSD, diabetic for 32 years, hypertensive, lactose intolerant, among many other things. I am also wheelchair bound due to a bone deformity in my foot that popped up 9 yrs ago. I had stage 4 for 5 yrs and kept end stage at bay for that long by following a pretty strict diet AND exercising from my wheelchair, recliner or bench. Simp!e leg, arm back. Stomach exercises are available through a physical therapist. They will even come to your home. If you are on a blood pressure drug it may be too strong since you have lost weight. Have your doctor check it out and WRITE DOWN all of the incidents and how it makes you feel. That helps them a lot, we all tend to forget little things that may be important. Good luck, you will concur this feeling . Darla

Comment

Hi. I have the same problem. No dizzy but always tired. I feel like I ran marothon just walking out to my car. I have had kidney disease all my life but dialysis only 4 years. The last year has been the worst. My hemoglobin, for me at least, needs to b above 10.5 for me to feel great. I have not gone over 9.5 in weeks. It messes with my regular routine. I have not been able to go on walks or play with my nieces in months. I gained 6.5 kilos and to top All off my hair Won't stop falling out. Had it all under control and since I can't do my regular routines I'm just losing it! Like for real!
                I hope u feel better soon. I wish I had answers for u. I need some help too. I know it sounds petty.. But I miss my hair and being thin. My health sucks and I really have no control of that. I just want to at least b in control of my own vanity. Lol.

Comment

My sister has same problem. She is still dealing with it.

Comment

On dialysis and still feel crappy. I need to get some tips on how to get more energy. Please!!!!

Comment

Water aerobics has made a huge difference for me. It has given me energy. I am not losing weight however and I log everything I eat on spark people.com. Not losing at 1200 per day & excercise. Gets frustrating. I feel pretty good...so at least I have that to be grateful for.

Comment

Working...
                      X