Hubby woke up confused and needing to vent - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby woke up confused and needing to vent

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubby woke up confused and needing to vent

Hubby woke up during the night wanting to go to the bathroom. He was confused and tried to get into the closet. Luckily, I had a night table beside the bed and against the closet door. I am not sure if he had gotten the closet door open, what he would have done.
    We discussed what had happened this morning and he said, he knew it was the closet but just couldn't find the bedroom door. I basically had to wake him up to get back into the right direction and find his way.
    He couldn't find the pillows to lay down on and kept moving up and down the side of the bed to try and lay down. Most of his nights are spent sleeping sitting on the side of the bed.
    His kidneys at the end of January are now at 21%, so they are slowing going down.
    His appetite has changed so much, following the renal diet is hard. I try the different receipes but he is a meat and potatoes guy and doesn't like sauces, pasta, rice.
    Some days like today, I want to throw everything up in the air and scream. Maybe that will make me feel better, but then the neighbors will be concerned what happened.
    He had a heart attack, triple bypass, stroke, passmaker/defib, diabetes. So some of the problems come from the stroke, but what makes things worse is some days are like he was never sick and other days, this is not my husband. He is just so confused and not sure.
    Talking with family doesn't always help. Because when the kids visit they don't see how he is. We have one daughter and grandson living with us, which does help. She works for a doctor who helps to explain stuff, but she is in denial (which she has been told is not good for her or us). She wants to donate her kidney to her stepdad (my husband) but can't since her BMI is around 40. So, is planning on getting some stomach surgery to help. That converns me, not that I need something else to be worried about.
    Now, I just seem to be going all over, but .......

Re: Hubby woke up confused and needing to vent

Hubby is in hospital. He complained during the night of being cold (he was shaking) and very sore back. He slept all morning. I checked him at 11:30 and he was sitting up on the side of the bed. I checked his blood sugar 5.2 and gave him something to eat. He was not eating properly and I started to question him. His answers were coming slow. I asked him to lift his arm and he said he couldn't. I called an ambulance, thinking he had a stroke.
    At the hospital, his temp was 102, BP 88/?? really low. CT scan showed no stroke but many mini strokes. Now, they think menningitis. Spinal tap to confirm
    chest xray shows some pneuniama. Still very confused and not waking up. He is in ICU in isolation in case of some airborne infection. They are gonna check for possible kidney stones, since his abdomine is very tender.
    WBC up, GFR 16, Creatine 4, BUN 103.
    Just waiting for blood tests and cultures to come back.

Comment

quiltlover27,

I am very sorry to hear about your hubby. This is very scary and I see how much your concerned. As anyone would be. I am glad that at least he is in the hospital and being checked out and looked after.

I truly hope and pray that all will be better soon. I dont really have any advice but wanted to let you know that you and him are in my thoughts and prayers. I will be checking in for updates and to support you if I can.

God Bless,

LanaB
      TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
      Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
      think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
      Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
      Non-diabetic, normal BP
      Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
      07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
      Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Comment

thank you for the prayers. His fever has come down, but still warm to the touch. they are gonna put a pic line in tomorrow to give him some heavy duty antibiotics. they found some blockage in the carotid artery. But still not sure where the infection is. He is pretty bloated with fluid from his CHF and having a hard time breathing. He is still disoriented.
        An ultrasound was done on the kidneys and carotid artery as well as echo on the heart. So, he is getting checked closely.
        The disorientation is I think the hardest. He will be talking normally and then slip away and talk gibberish/mumbling.
        I will keep you updated as I hear and have been told more.

Thanks again

Comment

The heavy duty antibiotics should help. The fact that they have determined about the carotid artery is good too. Also that his fever has come down. Some good news and at least it gives you some answers.

Have faith! Did the doctors give you an answer as to how long they expect him to recover once the antibiotics are given?

The hardest thing must be to try to talk to him when he slips in and out like that with his words. I hope it gets better soon.

Be blessed and hang in there!
          LanaB

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
          Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

I was informed he is critical. The ICU was just a name to me before, but he has been in critical care since being admitted.

His kidneys are now down to 13 and they will be starting hemo dialysis. The extra lasix has not helped to get rid of the extra fluid. He was more alert in the evening than he was during the day.

One artery is totalled blocked. He informed me the bus came, but he hid. He had a bad episode, after the pic line. He turned blue, so they asked about incubation , cpr and a ventiltor. He said yes.

HOw can somebody get so sick that fast.

The nurse said, " he is a very sick man. With his heart, respirtory issues and the kidneys, all that is working is his liver. " I think this comment was a little harsh, it might be true, but can't you say it a little nicer. Don't sugar coat it, give me the facts.

I asked if he was going to die, another nurse said he is critical. that's when we discussed cpr and the others. this is pure hell.

i am scared to take him back to manitoba, we are vacationing in florida. we drove down and i don't think we can drive back, since he is now on hemo dialysis. I am not sure what i have to arrange back home.

Comment

I was informed he is critical. The ICU was just a name to me before, but he has been in critical care since being admitted.

His kidneys are now down to 13 and they will be starting hemo dialysis. The extra lasix has not helped to get rid of the extra fluid. He was more alert in the evening than he was during the day.

One artery is totalled blocked. He informed me the bus came, but he hid. He had a bad episode, after the pic line. He turned blue, so they asked about incubation , cpr and a ventiltor. He said yes.

HOw can somebody get so sick that fast.

The nurse said, " he is a very sick man. With his heart, respirtory issues and the kidneys, all that is working is his liver. " I think this comment was a little harsh, it might be true, but can't you say it a little nicer. Don't sugar coat it, give me the facts.

I asked if he was going to die, another nurse said he is critical. that's when we discussed cpr and the others. this is pure hell.

i am scared to take him back to manitoba, we are vacationing in florida. we drove down and i don't think we can drive back, since he is now on hemo dialysis. I am not sure what i have to arrange back home.

Comment

Oh wow! I am sorry to hear that!

I am very concerned for you and him and it surprises me too that it happened like that so fast. Why I wonder.

Well just do your best to take care of yourself and him as best you can. He is lucky you are there for him and with him.
                I hope you have good travel insurance. I know that hospitals out of country can be very expensive. Did he have any pre-exsisting conditions before you left for Florida? Was he on any meds before? Are you going to have to pay or will you be covered somehow for all this? The worst thing is worrying about him and his health of course but you must be prepared for how to get him home and what this will all cost as well.

Praying for you both!

Lana

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
                Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

Well, hubby got his perma cath yesterday in the leg, since the veins in the chest are all blocked.
                  Hemo dialysis was started yesterday and 8.9 lbs of fluid came off. Today another 9 lbs and tomorrow another dialysis treatment.
                  Travel insurance was a no go, since there were too many pre-existing conditions, heart attack, stroke, CHF, diabetes and stage 4 kidney failure when we left and he was on meds.

He is not feeling well today, pretty weak and sick. From wearing the oxygen mask, his throat is pretty dried out and he is having a hard time talking. I encourage to take lots of sips to keep the throat moist.
                  I am trying to relax, a little relief from seeing his able to sleep. But still worried.

Is that normal not to feel well during dialysis, or is it because they are doing so much so fast.

Comment

Wow that is a lot of fluid! A lot!! I dont know what is normal amount of fluid and Im sorry I dont know what people feel after dialysis because I went straight to transplant without any symptoms and without needing dialysis first.

I know there is a lot of people on here who write about their experiences with dialysis so perhaps you can search here on davita to get more information.

I am sorry about the lack of travel insurance but for sure you are right, it would be impossible to find anyone to sell you insurance with all those pre-exsisting conditions he had. Its just the way it is I guess.

Glad to hear you are trying to relax. I hope your weekend and his get a bit better. Perhaps get him to suck on ice cubes to keep his throat from being dry.

Thinking of you two!

God Bless,

Lana

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
                    Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

The last couple of days hubby has not slept, just 10-15 mins at a time. Last night after dialysis which took off 15 lbs. he became very combative (nurses words) and ugly mean. the mean words cut and hurt very hard.I am trying very hard to keep a level head. I visit my neighbor frequently to talk and try and just be normal for an hour to have other things on my mind.
                      An anti-depressant and benadryl were given to try and calm him and relax enough to sleep. He would drift off to 15 mins and be back up trying to remove equipment, so he had to be restrained.
                      Today, the foley cath came out, but still very confused, and restrained. He wants to go home. I am using all the crazy lines to keep him in bed. I don't know the code to the rails on the bed, the toilet is broken, lines not long enough. the nurses are impressed as to how fast I can come up with these stories.
                      The PD cath is not going to be put in Monday, dialysis again.
                      The nurse told me tonight, listening to his lungs, he cannot hear anything on the left side. He is just getting oxygen on the right side.
                      The nurse is hoping with 2 solid nights of sleep, (Zanax) will help to get rid of the confusion.
                      Thanks so much for listening to me ramble, but I feel better being able to put my feelings down. Laying on the floor crying is not good. Our golden was so confused as to what I was doing, he went away from me, confused as to what was wrong. He missed his dad too.

Comment

Praying for you and your husband. I hope it gets better. May god give you the strength you need and friends give you the outlet you need also. I know you need it more than anything rite now. I just wish I could bottle up strength and give it to you.

ShySha

Comment

Thanks for the bottle of strength and faith. I received it overflowing and it sure helped.

Update: Hubby has received dialysis every second day now. The doc did an assessment and said we can be discharged on Monday after dialysis. We can fly back to Canada on Tuesday am.
                          that was such great news. His left leg is still very sore (gout and not getting gout meds) and both legs really weak from lack of use, but he getting lots of exercise to try and strengthen the legs. He still has not been up and out of bed. He has started to use the bedside commode with nurses assistance. So once we get back to our house, he is gonna have to endure some pain, He weighs 220 and I am 165. but I will manage for the partial day and get to the airport with wheelchair use.
                          Thanks so much for the support and listening to me when I have been unthinking and needing just some experienced ears.
                          I will keep you updated once we return back to Canada.

Comment

I glad you husband is getting better and can go home to Canada. I hope you have family there that can help you. I know you are really happy that he is getting better. I will still be praying for the both of you that he continues to improve.
                            sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

Well, we have returned to Canada, actually Winnipeg. Hubby was admitted to hospital on his assessment when we arrived for his dialysis, something which I had been speaking with the social worker about. He has had 2 dialysis treatments and still not doing well. He is really weak still in the arms and legs.
                              Our children have visited daily since arriving. Our plane ride was uneventful, which was great. The Delta/airport staff were wonderfull. A wheelchair was waiting for us on our arrivals at all three airports. We were taken directly to our departure gate by staff. So, glad they were there to assist us, I would never have found my way around Atlanta and Minneapolis airports.
                              Since returning back to Winnipeg, I think I have been able to relax a bit more, with more family closer and at a moments notice, if I need them.
                              I will keep with the updates, when I have more information on hubby's health.
                              Thanks for all you thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X