What to do for constipation - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do for constipation

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do for constipation

My husband is having iron transfusions and of course isn't getting much fiber in his diet. He is also taking Tums as a phosphorous binder. He is not on dialysis yet. He is so miserable and his stomach is hard. What can he do to relieve the constipation? I want to keep him feeling as good as I can.

Thanks to all on this wonderful site.
    Sock Monkey

Caregiver of husband 58
    Recently diagnosed
    CKD, Stage 5 predialysis
    Type 2 diabetes

Re: What to do for constipation

Originally posted by Sockmonkey View Post
    My husband is having iron transfusions and of course isn't getting much fiber in his diet. He is also taking Tums as a phosphorous binder. He is not on dialysis yet. He is so miserable and his stomach is hard. What can he do to relieve the constipation? I want to keep him feeling as good as I can.

Thanks to all on this wonderful site.
    The doctor should prescribe him Colace or some medication to help with constipation as BOTH Iron AND Tums will cause constipation. There are many things over the counter that can also be taken for constipation. Just make sure it doesn't have phosphorus in it (I don't think it would but thought I would say because I don't know what is in it .. just that my doc told me to take Colace .. but I am in Canada and it might be called something different in the USA).
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I know the problem very well. My solution has been to take Miralax or SuperLax from Walmart every day. It takes about three days for it to start working, but those two are the best. Glucolax is a prescription, but I find an aftertaste with it. I hope this will be a help to you because that is one problem that is the worst. Perhaps his doctor could change him to Renvela or Phoslo. I am on Renvela and it isn't nearly as bad. Tums always caused me that problem even before I developed Kidney disease.

Comment

Calcium based binders (and/or Tums) do cause constipation.
        I took phoslo. there were days when I needed to take more, I would notice the difference........Colace to the rescue. Actually I was told to take colace (its the name brand), but I bought the Target brand of a stool softener w/laxative. It really helped.
        Apples are a great source of fiber (the skin), and it's a kidney diet friendly.

Take care!

Marina
        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

When I was hospitalized for chest pain and I started dialysis there. They gave me miralax. My dr has me on 1 colace capsule every day to keep me from getting constipated and it has helped for a year and a half so far. I hope your husband is feeling better. I recently found out that getting iron can also cause bruises. I can barely bump something and end up with a dark bruise.
          Patty Lewis
          Stage 5 CKD
          PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
          On transplant list July 15, 2011
          patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by patty_lewis View Post
            When I was hospitalized for chest pain and I started dialysis there. They gave me miralax. My dr has me on 1 colace capsule every day to keep me from getting constipated and it has helped for a year and a half so far. I hope your husband is feeling better. I recently found out that getting iron can also cause bruises. I can barely bump something and end up with a dark bruise.
            Could your bruises be frm a blood thinner.

Comment

My husband struggled with this for a long time. He tried Miralax once and when one capful didn't do the trick, he stopped! Finally after he was hospitalized for constipation, he listened to them...he could take up to 3 or 4 capfuls a day if necessary! And that's what he does! If he starts to get diarrhea, he stops for a couple of days. He is old faithful. Miralax every morning! We should buy stock in it! Actually we buy the Costco Kirkland generic brand...

Comment

cetain foods make me move nuts, sweetcorn, licquirice sweets, fresh ornage juice rather than taking moving meds..........
                Audrey
                Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
                Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

High magnesium and fiber foods help with constipation. Unfortunately a lot of these high "mag" foods are also high in phosphorus.

I found that eating an apple or two a day helps, but make sure you eat the peel because that's where the fiber is.

I was told by transplant center I could use Magnesium citrate.

I'm not sure if Mag citrate is approved for dialysis patients though.
                  I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I eat more fruit and vegetables, less meat and I take 3 prunes per day. One before each meal. I also drink 10-17 cups of water; and I walk every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X