Losing sense of self - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing sense of self

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing sense of self

I seem to have lost my sense of self, as I am so focused on caring for my mother.
    I used to consider myself intelligent, friendly, interesting somewhat, and motivated. I can't see that person anymore. I am caring for, or making phone calls for, or filling out forms for, or going to one appointment or another for Mom. I am not meaning to complain because I know that I can take better care of her than anyone else 😏, and I know that she depends on me completely.

There is a cost, though. I am experiencing some health issues related to stress. I have a lowered immune system and have become more prone to infections. I have lost 20# because I'm either too tired to bother with getting something for myself or the very thought of any food is nauseating. I take multivitamins and try to drink a lot of water. Needless to say, I am constantly exhausted. I have lost the person that I knew as me.

How does everyone else manage this?

Hi jays1030, thank you for sharing so openly here. My name is Kelsey - I'm the myDaVita community manager and can help answer questions you may have about the platform.

Have you had a chance to speak with a local social worker? They may be able to help guide you through the challenges of being a care partner. Your mom is lucky to have you!

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Comment

Kelsey,

Thank you for your kind words. I know you've heard this many times, but it truly is just a day to day process. Jean

Comment

Working...
      X