X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novasource

My mother is in dialysis, has been for 3 years. Use to have her bad and good days now she has more bad than good. Today was a very bad one, has had no strength and no appetite so today they gave her an 8 oz novasource complete nutrition drink. That gave her all sorts of boost and haven't seen my mother like that in a long time. Needing to know where I may be able to find this. Is this an online only or a possible prescription can be given? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Minnie0715, thank you for sharing - we're so sorry to hear about your mother. I'd reach out to her local care team for answers to specific medical questions.

Wishing you and your family the best!

Comment

Thank you for the help KelseyAtDaVita !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Minnie0715 View Post
        My mother is in dialysis, has been for 3 years. Use to have her bad and good days now she has more bad than good. Today was a very bad one, has had no strength and no appetite so today they gave her an 8 oz novasource complete nutrition drink. That gave her all sorts of boost and haven't seen my mother like that in a long time. Needing to know where I may be able to find this. Is this an online only or a possible prescription can be given? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Minnie0715 I pray your Mom is doing well. I realize this question was from March, so I hope you were able to find what you needed. Nevertheless, here is some information:

Having run into a very similar situation regarding no strength and no appetite (especially on dialysis days), I started seeking anything that might help. DaVita has an article.

Generally, supplemental nutrition is not a covered benefit under most insurance plans. Most insurance companies only cover if it is the sole source of nutrition (usually via feeding tube). Since not all plans are alike, if there is coverage, it usually falls under the DME enteral nutrition benefit. To utilize the benefit, a DME company participating with the insurance plan would require RX, letter of medical necessity, etc.

In the event it is private pay, there are several companies online that provide Novasource Renal and Nepro (CKD5). I started using "Vitality Medical" which has Novasource Renal and Nepro (plus Suplena for CKD 3&4). In my experience over the last few months, they are very reliable with wonderful customer service. Since they have a reasonable price per can for Nepro as well as selling the Novasource individually, I was able to get one of each to verify the flavor was satisfactory for the person in question. Also, in my case, it is cost prohibitive to buy a case of each flavor at one time.

As you are aware, since Novasource Renal and Nepro are fluids, the ounces count toward the daily fluid restrictions. However, if the person is not eating and has no strength, the Novasource or Nepro would not exceed the daily allotment. Of course, as KelseyAtDaVita states, clear everything through the care team.

Comment

Working...
        X